Guys, here's some quick advice for right now if you think she's pregnant:
- Listen. The situation involves more than just you. Now you have three lives to think about.
- Stay Calm. She needs your support now more than ever. She may be carrying the baby, but you are BOTH parents, and regardless of your relationship in the future, your baby needs you, too.
- Talk about it. Not only with each other, but prepare to talk with parents and others close to the situation. Sharing the news with people who can genuinely help you can reduce your stress levels as you process everything.
- Gather all the facts and seek wise counsel. This will help you make the best decision for both you and your partner.
- Express yourself honestly. It's normal to have feelings of anger, frustration and fear. Sharing those feelings in a constructive way will show her that she is not alone in this situation.
- Don't walk away. The more you run from this, the harder it becomes to think and act clearly.
- Don't pressure her. Applying pressure will only push her away, and potentially result in a decision you may both regret. Work together as a team.
- Don't forget. You have a very active role in this situation. Listen to input as well as share your thoughts. Your thoughts are valuable and important in making a good decision for you and her.
Clear your mind and listen to what she is saying. Try to understand her feelings too. Gather the facts about the options available to both of you. Talk to family and friends you trust for honest feedback and support. We are here to provide caring, free and confidential help for you and your partner.
* First: find out if she is really pregnant and if the pregnancy is viable.
* Next: learn about your options. Open Arms Pregnancy Clinic provides confidential and free pregnancy testing, along with many support services. We are here to help both of you come to an educated decision, one that you will feel good about.
* Go with her for the pregnancy test appointment. If she truly is pregnant, then she is already coping with hormonal changes that can have a great effect on her. Having your support will reassure her that you care.
Open Arms Pregnancy Clinic can help you in a variety of ways should she actually be pregnant. We offer a mens mentoring program and referrals to helpful organizations.